Stand Downs are only successful because of our volunteers. It takes a community to make a difference. We appreciate our volunteers for their support. The Heart Of America Stand Down is operated entirely by dedicated volunteers and 100 percent of proceeds go to supporting veterans by providing the services and resources they need most.
If you, your family, club, organization or coworkers would like to volunteer, we welcome you! Below is a simple registration form to download, print, complete, and bring with you the day of the event. THANK YOU!
Bring the volunteer registration form with you to Stand Down
Volunteers are encouraged to carpool together. Parking is limited depending on the weather.
- Set Up Assistance: Needed for the day before Stand Down. The day before Stand Down is a full day, spent preparing for what comes tomorrow. Help with set up is always needed; assisting with unloading cargo, setting up tents, preparing our inventory for distribution, setting up tables and chairs, supplies unloaded, assisting service organizations in their work areas, etc. This is a great opportunity for individuals or groups who want to give back to the community – an hour or all day.
- Tear Down: On a good day, services usually end around 4 p.m. the last day of the event. That’s when the work begins, all items are packed up (as organized as possible) with each Coordinator determining the process and manner. Most of our supplies and items are maintained in a warehouse, semi trucks have to be loaded, during the summer – all tents are dismantled, and our facility and grounds cleaned. All assistance in this area is greatly appreciated!
- Food Service: Various shifts. Volunteers work directly with veterans. This also is a wonderful opportunity for groups or clubs to become more involved. We have very talented groups preparing food for us. Volunteers working in food service assist with serving, maintaining safety, and cleanliness of our dining facility. And of course, sampling! We provide food to our volunteers for set up and both volunteers and veterans on the day of the Stand Down.
- Escorts: Help veterans access various service provider stations. Those helping with support services act as a resource to our veterans, volunteers and visitors. Escorts will hand work the information table, assist with logistics, direct media and visitors, etc. Please not any special needs in mobility the vet may have.
- Entertainment and Recreation
- Volunteer Registration: This is a great opportunity for individuals or groups who want to give back to the community for an hour or for the entire day. This role requires volunteers to be friendly and fun-loving. All volunteers must complete a registration form.
- Veteran Registration: Friendly and fun-loving volunteers needed to welcome and work directly with veterans. Volunteers will collect the forms and help assign veterans to an Escort (volunteer) to guide them through services, if he or she chooses.
- Security: Security is in place for the entire event to ensure the safety of veterans, volunteers and coordinators of KC Stand Down. Security also helps with traffic control an oversees the unloading, parking, work areas, etc.
- To Volunteer or Inquire about opportunities email Jim Lannigan or call at 816-763-1193